I’ll elaborate on this topic some more later, but I thought I’d let you know that I’ve successfully deployed, configured and tested Prime Focus’ Deadline®, the render manager of choice for duber studio.
When I first started developing some tools, to speed up and aid our pipeline, in Maya I was furious to find out about Maya’s implemented GUI tools and methods. It was extremely unintuitive, very badly documented (especially regarding examples of the given object etc…) and heavily limiting. What I’d love to have in Maya was something similar to Max’s GUI objects I was used to.
After reading a very interesting and helpful article about checksums and how practical they are for comparing large datasets over at Adam Pletcher’s Tech Art Tiki blog, I was immediately interested in such methods as I’m doing some R&D on data management in a larger creative environment and need such a feature. Unfortunately, MAXScript natively doesn’t support MD5 hashes (or any other kinds of hashes), so you’re pretty much stuck with just a few options.
I’ve been recently doing some R&D on MySQL databases and connection through Python in Maya as well as Python in Max (through blurPython library), but I couldn’t seem to have found a way to connect to a MySQL database via ODBC. The problem lied in OLE methods as they’re not both much documented in MAXScript reference and they’re tied to the operating system, not Max directly. But thankfully, I bumped into a solution today, out of a blue
The more time you spend developing some more complex tools and code, the more you start appretiating all the open-source tools and add-ons you can get. Thankfully, Max and its MAXScript language is very widely used throughout the CG community, so, some times you don’t even have to start developing your own tools from scratch, you can get either the whole package from sites like ScriptSpot or at least build your tools up on somebody else’s script. However, there are certain limitations that even a huge community, such as the one Max has, won’t be of much help.
Microsoft, after a few years and a considerable pressure from the clever programmers out there, has ditched ActiveX controls. While this was an overally good decision, it can also cause a lot of headaches! To my astonishment when I run a merely few months old script I wrote in Max 8 in Max 2008 x64 (on Vista Business x64) the script didn’t work, in fact it threw the error message you can see in the picture above. At first I didn’t know what the hell was going on, even the MAXScript reference included the old ActiveX declaration part, so I really had no idea what was going on, further on when I run the same code in Max 8, also on the same computer running Vista Business x64, the script worked! The reason for that, as I learned on the internet, is that since Microsoft doesn’t support ActiveX anymore, they didn’t recompile most of the controls to 64bits, so, when you run a 32bit app., like Max 8, on 64bit Vista, it still calls the old 32bit ActiveX controls, however, when you run a 64bit app., like Max 2008, there’s no equivalent of 64bit ActiveX and since a 64bit program cannot run 32bit plugins/apps. from whithin itself, it simply throws you an error.