I got really sick of all the shit that Mozilla started doing with Firefox lately. It kept on freezing, crashing, updating all the time, the Flash was basically unusable in Firefox (though I blame Adobe for that), but mainly it became bigger, bloated and slower with each micro-release.
This drove me to, again, evaulate Chrome (as I can’t stand Opera in general, so I won’t even bother trying it out). And to my surprise, they removed those annoying little bits I didn’t like last time I was trying it out and added a few handy features I appretiate.
The smooth scrolling is still a far cry from Firefox, though, but it’s snappy, feels lightweight and doesn’t get in my way as I basically just want to browse the web, not admire the software that does the rendering for me.
So, as of today, after a few days of trying Chrome out, I made Chrome my default browser and I hope it won’t be pissing me off as much as Firefox has in the past few weeks.
This, Mozilla, shows how easy it is to lose user base.
This post is basically just a note to myself, because I keep searching for this every now and then and every time I forget the syntax. So, here’s what you need to do in order to extract .msi archives to a specific folder of your choice.
To extract files from a .msi file from the command line, type:
msiexec /a PathToMSIFile /qb TARGETDIR=DirectoryToExtractTo
For example, to extract files from X:\installs\someProgram.msi into C:\someProgram you would type:
msiexec /a X:\installs\someProgram.msi /qb TARGETDIR=C:\someProgram
In February, I wrote about calling the JSON variant of the Shotgun API from the IronPython 2.7.1. Now it is time to upgrade the pipeline tools to the latest versions of both IronPython and the Shotgun API.
There are, however, some steps you have to take in order to make things work without issues.
Naturally, you still have to follow the steps described in the february article. In addition to that, however, you also have to modify the Shotgun.py some more. On lines 52, 53 and 54, remove the relative module paths. So, basically just remove the dots from the “.lib“. For some reason, IronPython is having issues with relative imports outside of packages.
After that, everything should be running smoothly again.
Here are a few screenshots from the IronPython console as well as from the MAXScript Listener in 3ds Max 2013.
duberPython (utilizing IronPython engine 2.7.3):