I just upgraded my VMware Workstation to the latest version, 7.
Apart from the obvious CPU number and memory limit upgrades, the most obvious and, frankly, coolest features are support for 3D graphics and DirectX. This means that not only can we test 3D applications inside virtual machines, play 3D games, but also get fully functional Aero experience (for those who like to heavily customize), which is really great. Also, in 7, we now get an official support for, you guessed it, Windows 7 (installing RTM as I’m writing this article)
It’s really a great update, especially considering the accelerated 3D features. If you already own VMware 5.x or 6.x, the upgrade is $99 USD, for new users to VMWare, the full retail price is $189 USD, which is still pretty good, if you really need a virtualized environment.
Yes! Once again, Blur studio showed how it’s supposed to be done.
They’ve released, or allowed their Eric Hulser to release, an updated version of their blurPython modules for 32bit and 64bit 3ds Max versions from Max 9 all the way up to 2009! And not only that. They’ve also provided libs and modules for tying up Python, 3ds Max and Qt together! This is massive news as I’ve been trying to get Python (concretely IronPython) work in 3ds Max but I’ve been constantly hitting road blocks until I finally bumped into Blur’s updated blurPython.
I’m a huge fan of Rammstein and I have to say that their last album (that I just got today), Liebe Ist Für Alle Da, is no short of awesome!
If you don’t know Rammstein already and like industrial metal, hard rock and similar genres, then this is your band of choice!
I’ve finally received all the parts I needed in order to setup the PowerVault MD1000 in a RAID-5 configuration (5 x 500GB HDDs). I even made a video documenting the whole process, but it’s in Czech language only, at the moment. I don’t know when/if I get to narrate it in English though. For those of you who understand, enjoy!
Yes, another year has passed by like nothing and I’ve turned 26.
But, the greatest thing is, some of the folks over at maxarea.com came up with a mini-challenge of “cooking” a CG cake for me! How awesome is that?!
I’ve finally found some spare time to dive into the server installation. I’ve chosen, after a bit of an evaluation, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (couldn’t have chosen Linux for several reasons and this version of Windows was the best choice). However, the installation process isn’t as easy and boring as it is on any regular PC, the server is a bit of a proprietary mash of partly commercially available parts and thus requires a little bit more elaborate approach.
The very first time I booted up the server I had to flash and update its SYSTEM and the PERC BIOSes at first, because they were of a bit older version that wasn’t officially supported by Dell.
I woke up this morning and powered my computer on blindly, then went to the kitchen to fix me a mug of strong coffee, like every other morning (well, if you can call 11am a morning that is ). To my surprise (and as it has always been with all of my computers), Windows booted up, but my keybard was dead, non-responsive. It was plugged in properly, it was illuminating, but I could press the keys as hard as I can, nothing happened. And so it started. My adrenaline levels risen tremendously, I started to feel really angry and I think if I could, I’d turn green and smashed everything in my way. However, that’s not the case and after I quickly gulped down the delicious, yet bitter, natures’ liquid miracle, I finally started to think. The only difference from yesterday was that I uninstalled VMWare (they released an updated version), but I didn’t install the update, because a phone call interrupted me and I had to quickly fix the last shot I was working on.
I’ve finally hunted out a Rack cabinet for the storage, server and render slaves installation and since I won’t be moving any sooner than three-four months to a new place, I’ve temporarily installed the rack over the weekend (it really took this long!) in my storeroom.
After putting all the pieces together (and realizing I’d put them together incorrectly, so after another disassembly/assembly) I installed the PowerVault system and upgraded its SAS card as it only provided an aging SCSI interface.